DIY Recipe of the Month
October's recipe is extra exciting to share, not only because we are showcasing our newly available Craft-Grade Pear Spirits, but because fall flavors like Clove and Cinnamon and ripe Pear happen to be an all-time, cozy-inducing favorite. We now have our Certified Organic Craft-Grade Pear in house, and it was hard to choose what recipe to make with this fragrant, juicy, and delicious spirit.
Our Spiced Cranberry Orange Bitters is a perfect addition to give you all the Autumn feels. As the evenings get darker a little earlier, you can brighten them up with this seasonal warming spiced liquor. It's a great addition to your baking recipes or to make delicious cocktails. A favorite libation of mine is adding a dash of this flavorful liquor to a dry apple cider and poured over ice.
You can experiment with different spice blends and quantities to make it perfectly yours. As with all our boozy Do-It-Yourself (DIY) recipes, always drink responsibly.
This Months Recipe: Cranberry Orange Bitters
What You'll Need
- 2 cups fresh Cranberries
- 8 ounces Craft-Grade Orange Spirit Organic Alcohol
- 8 ounces unsweetened Cranberry Juice
- 1 Orange Peel (remove pith)
- 1 Cinnamon Stick (medium)
- 2 pods Star Anise
- ½ ounce Bitter Orange Peel
- 1 teaspoon Gentian Root
- ½ cup Sugar
- 32-ounce Mason Jar
If using one of our other neutral spirits, you can add 3-4 more whole Orange Peels to this recipe to make up for the Orange, although the Craft-Grade Orange adds a lovely intense Orange flavor!
What You'll Do
- On a baking sheet, dehydrate Cranberries and fresh Orange Peel in the oven until slightly shriveled. Remove and let cool.
- Add Organic Alcohol, Cranberries and Peel, Gentian Root, Bitter Orange Peel, Star Anise, and Cinnamon to a 32-ounce Mason Jar. Agitate.
- Store in cool, dark place for 1 week.
- Strain solids from mixture, and set alcohol mixture aside.
- In a saucepan, add solids to 8 ounces Cranberry Juice. Bring to boil, and reduce heat to simmer for a further 10 minutes. Let cool.
- Add reduction mixture back to alcohol mixture. Let sit un-agitated for 1 week in cool dark place.
- Strain all solids from mixture (you may need to strain a few times for clarity).
- Stir in Sugar until completely dissolved.
- Portion into bottles (optional)
Keep your homemade Autumn Cranberry Orange Bitters sealed and refrigerated, and most importantly: Enjoy!